Questions & Answers

What is a federal or Kentucky extension?

If you are unable to file a return by the due date, you may request an extension. The request for the extension must be submitted in writing to the Department of Revenue on or before the due date of the return. The request must state a reasonable cause for the inability to file. Inability to pay is not an acceptable reason. Acceptable reasons include, but are not limited to, destruction of records by fire or flood and serious illness of the taxpayer.

Extensions are usually limited to six months. However, since the IRS and Kentucky Department of Revenue are already granting all taxpayers a three-month extension due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an additional extension is limited to three months. Tax returns granted this additional extension will be due October 15, 2020.

If you receive a federal extension, you are not required to request a separate Kentucky extension. Just include a copy of the federal application for extension with your Kentucky return.

Let's Get Started