Questions & Answers

What is a federal or Kentucky extension?

If you're unable to file a return by the due date, you may request an extension. The request for the extension must be submitted in writing to the Department of Revenue on or before the due date of the return. The request must state a reasonable cause for the inability to file. Inability to pay is not an acceptable reason. Acceptable reasons include, but are not limited to, destruction of records by fire or flood and serious illness of the taxpayer. Extensions are limited to five months.

If you've already received a federal extension, you don't have to request a separate Kentucky extension. Just include a copy of the federal application for extension with your Kentucky return.

Let's Get Started